- Backup saved files by appending an user specified extension or by making a copy of the files to a second directory ("Edit | Preferences... | Save"). [v1.0]
- The "Edit | Preferences... | Format" tab now contains options for setting the attribute quote preference for tags inserted by Actions Bar items. For example, HTML-Kit can insert single quotes instead of double quotes and/or skip optional quotes altogether. [v1.0]
- 5 new methods of selecting text/tags with keyboard shortcuts ("Edit | Select"). [v1.0]
- Changed "Ctrl+/" keyboard shortcut to "Alt+End" and "Alt+/" to "Alt+Ins" to better support different keyboards. [v1.0]
- Ability to print in color ("Edit | Preferences... | Print"). [v1.0]
- The "Help | About..." dialog box now contains a list of program paths for easy reference. [v1.0]
- New "Actions" menu to allow access to action buttons from the main menu. [v1.0]
- Incremental search option in the templates/snippets dialog box. It will now retain display settings, such as last selected tab/icon, window position, view style, etc., between sessions. [v1.0]
- Improved "Open File Wizard" with the ability to open multiple files on startup. Also added the ability to resize the window. [v1.0]
- Integrated HTML Tidy version 22-Oct-1999. New features include:
- The ability to specify a default text label for IMG ALT attributes.
- An option to discard empty paragraphs.
- Input box to list new PRE tags.
- A switch to allow wrapping content within <![...]> section tags.
An option to quickly strip surplus tags in Word 2000 HTML documents was added to the HTML Tidy plugin's drop-down menu. [v1.0]
- Automatically save modified files every n number of minutes ("Edit | Preferences... | Save"). [v1.0]
- Holding the Ctrl key down while clicking the down arrow of an action button will now display a searchable list of its menu items in a pop-up window. This feature can be used when there are too many menu items to fit on one screen. [v1.0]
- An option to enable free disk space checks before saving files ("Edit | Preferences... | Save"). This feature can be helpful if you frequently save files on floppy disks or similar removable media. [v1.0]
- Ability to detect files modified by external programs and automatically reload them or prompt to reload ("Edit | Preferences... | Editor"). [v1.0]
- The new "Focus the Message Window if it is updated" option in the "Edit | Preferences... | General" tab makes it possible to specify whether the Message Window is automatically activated after running plugins that generate messages, such as HTML Tidy. [v1.0]
- It is now possible to specify how tags inserted by plugins should be formatted using the "Edit | Preferences... | Format" tab. Tags, attributes, values, entities, events and properties may be individually configured to appear in lowercase, uppercase or in the default text case. [v1.0]
- Added a menu item to the "Meta" button on the Actions bar to insert a meta tag to indicate the author's name. The "Comment" button was improved to allow easy insertion of the author's name, company, web site address, email and comments. Values used in these options can be modified by going to "Edit | Preferences... | Author." [v1.0]
- Improved the "Help | Check for Updates..." function. Now it is easier to get a list of changes since the last upgrade. [v1.0]
- Released HTML-Kit Plugins Generator version 2.0.
- Visually design fully functional plugins with multiple buttons, tabs, drop-down menus and icons.
- No programming experience is required.
- Preview the end result in real-time.
- Released HTML-Kit Plugins API version 1.0.9 for plugins developers. [v1.0]
- Moved the "Preset Window Sizes" list from the "General" tab to the "Preview" tab. [v1.0]
- "Edit | Find Previous (Shift+F3)" -- search for text backwards (towards the top of the document). [v1.0]
- Find, Page Setup, Print, Refresh, Select All, Delete Selection, Cut, Copy and Paste main menu items will now perform browser specific functions when invoked from a preview or browser window.
For example, invoking "Print" (Ctrl+P) while a preview window is active will display a browser specific version of the print dialog box while calling the same function from the edit window will display the editor's print dialog. [v1.0]
- Data dragged from browsers and HTML editors such as Front Page, and dropped on a HTML-Kit editor window can now be pasted as HTML code or plain text. [v1.0]
- General purpose "Insert File Names" plugin, located on the "Tools" tab, to make it easier to insert a file name or multiple file names. This tool can be used to insert images, create links to files, generate a directory of file names or add custom tags related to a batch of files. [v1.0]
- Easily preview pages in multiple browsers, including different versions of the same browser, using "View | Preview in Browser" or the "Preview in browser" button in the "Tools" toolbar.
To edit the list of available browsers, select "Edit | Preferences... | Preview | Edit Browser List" from the main menu. The "Detect" option can detect and automatically list all major browsers including Internet Explorer, Netscape Navigator/Communicator, Opera, NCSA Mosaic, WebTV and Amaya.
Enable "Edit | Preferences... | Startup | Detect browsers" to automatically run browser auto-detect every time HTML-Kit is started. Note that this can be a time consuming process on some computers. [v1.0]
- Color picker ("Colors" plugin):
- Web safe color palette with multiple sort orders including sorting based on hue, saturation and value.
- Create custom colors by mixing red, green and blue components or entering hex/decimal values manually.
- Pick colors using the system color palette.
- Extract the color of any pixel on the screen using "Absorb Color..."
- Convert RGB color codes to HSV, HSL, CMY and CMYK color measurements.
- Map the selected color to the closest web safe color (wsc) if applicable.
- Pick colors from a list of named colors.
- Set the foreground/background colors for the selected text.
- Easily insert HTML and CSS color related attributes.
- Quickly pick colors from the Recently Used Colors list
- Options to set whether colors should be entered using color codes or names and in lower case or upper case ("Edit | Preferences | Format | Colors"). [v1.0]
- 30-Nov-1999 version of the HTML Tidy plugin. The "Tidy" settings tab will now display the matching configuration parameter used by the command line version of HTML Tidy. [v1.0]
- Options to configure how HTML-Kit should detect word boundaries when selecting, skipping and spell checking words ("Edit | Preferences... | Editor | Word Boundary Characters"). Note that the main purpose of these two fields is to support words with non-English characters. Using them for any other purpose is not recommended, because that may negatively impact how words are spell checked, for example. [v1.0]
- The uninstaller will now prompt to remove HTML-Kit user settings permanently even if it's not synchronized with the number of previous installations. [v1.0]
- Better integration with third-party applications by auto detecting HTML and text editors that can be called from HTML-Kit ("Tools | Programs"). If you use multiple editors to create web pages, this feature will make it easier to open the file you're working on in an external editor and switch back to HTML-Kit.
To edit the list of external programs that can be called from HTML-Kit, select "Edit | Preferences... | General | Edit External Program List..." from the main menu. Click "Detect" to invoke auto-detect.
Enable "Edit | Preferences... | Startup | Detect programs" to automatically run auto-detect every time HTML-Kit is started. Note that this can be a time consuming process on some computers. [v1.0]
- An option to stop file extensions from being displayed on the Task Bar ("Edit | Preferences... | General"). [v1.0]
- "Tools | Run External Program" -- Run an external program from HTML-Kit. Optionally capture the program's output and paste it on to the current editor or to a new editor. [v1.0]
- New "Tags" menu items: quickly insert non-breaking space tags using the Shift+Ctrl+Space keyboard shortcut. The "Go to Matching Tag" option can be used to locate the matching starting or ending portion of a block tag. [v1.0]
- Moved the "Repeat Last Plugin Action (F6)" item from the "Tools" menu to the "Actions" menu. [v1.0]
- "Edit | Find Selection (Ctrl+F3)" -- Quickly search for the next occurrence of the currently selected text in the editor. Also can be used to locate the HTML code for the selected text in the preview window.
For a demonstration of this feature, load a HTML file with at least one paragraph of plain text. Switch to the preview window, select a word and press Ctrl+F3. HTML-Kit will switch to the editor window and take you to the HTML code with the text you selected from the preview window. [v1.0]
- The Message Window's header will now display the number of errors and warnings found after checking a document. This makes it easier to find out if there was an error that prevented the generation of a clean document, without having to scroll through all messages. [v1.0]
- Predefined standard, compact and minimal views to make it easier to define which windows HTML-Kit should display ("View | Current View"). [v1.0]
- Full screen mode -- "View | Current View | Full Screen View (F11)." [v1.0]
- PHP plugin containing over 1,000 categorized function listings with summaries. Can be used as a quick reference and a way to quickly enter long function names. Currently this is a separate download available on the Plugins page. [v1.0]
- An option to increase the number of files that will remember bookmark information between sessions ("Edit | Preferences... | Save"). [v1.0]
- "Edit | Preferences... | Save | Allow undo after save" -- Now it's possible to undo even after saving a document. [v1.0]
- "Insert File Names" wizard to allow formatting of files names dropped on editor windows.
For example, whenever a file is dragged from the Windows Explorer and dropped on an editor, this wizard will make it easier to create an image tag, a hyper link or other custom tag using that file name (or a list of file names). [v1.0]
- A confirmation message will be displayed the very first time the AutoComplete feature is triggered to give an opportunity to disable it if desired. [v1.0]