The information in this document applies to:
HTML-Kit may issue an error message when trying to update files locked by the Microsoft IIS (Internet Information Server) web service. This is by design. This document includes details and possible workarounds.
By default IIS web server versions 5.0 and below will attempt to cache files being served by it to increase performance. This process may also lock handles of files being cached, which may prevent other applications from updating these files for several seconds (until the file lock is released, depending on server activity and configuration).
HTML-Kit Build 292 and higher has built-in support for handling files cached by IIS. Following workarounds can be used in HTML-Kit Build 290 and lower builds:
- Avoid previewing files through the IIS web server while they're being edited, whenever possible. For example, use the local file name to preview files being edited, instead of using the http://... address which may activate the web server's cache and file locking.
- Disable IIS file cache, or reduce its timeout value (see references).
- Stop the web server before updating files served by it, and then resume the service.
- Build the pages on a local drive and upload to the server at a later time.
- Use the "File | Save As..." command instead of the "File | Save" main menu option.
- As a last resort, the hkIISSave plugin (version 0.90, beta) can be used to work around IIS file locks. Once the plugin is installed using the "Tools | Install | Plugin" main menu option, click the hkIISSave plugin icon to update files in use by the IIS web server.
Following is a list of Microsoft Knowledge Base documents related to IIS caching and file locking issues (listed here for easy access and information only):
THE INFORMATION IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN AS-IS BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
PROVIDER SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY OTHER WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL PROVIDER BE LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF PROVIDER HAS BEEN ADVISED BY "USER" OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH POTENTIAL LOSS OR DAMAGE. "USER" AGREES TO HOLD PROVIDER HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, LOSSES, LIABILITIES AND EXPENSES.
Document ID: H000130
Reviewed On: 12-Sep-2001