The information in this document applies to:
HTML-Kit's help system can be extended using keyword help files. This document describes how to start creating custom help files.
- Select "File | New" from HTML-Kit's main menu or press Ctrl+N
- Change to the "HTML-Kit" tab
- Select "Blank HTML-Kit Keyword Help File" and click "OK" to open a copy of it
- Save the empty keyword help template with a file name ending with the ".hkh" extension, such as "c:\MyFiles\MyHelp.hkh"
- Fill in the appropriate sections with tags and URL references. For example, to associate the reference "http://helprefsite/div.html" with the "div" tag, enter the following line in the "[HTML_Tags]" section:
- Once the help references are added, install the keyword help file (c:\MyFiles\MyHelp.hkh in this case) using the "Tools | Install | Install Keyword Help File" main menu option.
To test the new keyword help file, open an HTML file (or other file type supported by the help file), place the cursor on a tag (such as <div>) and press the F1 key. The new help reference should appear in a separate window.
- It's not necessary to restart HTML-Kit before testing new keyword help files. The options under "Edit | Preferences | Help | Keyword help files" can be used to enable or disable specific help files.
- Currently installed keyword help files are located in the "HTML-Kit\Help\Keywords\" directory. More sample keyword help files can be found on the plugins page.
- The "[Index]" section, which is not included in the default keyword help file template, can be used to provide references for tags and other types of items that may not fit in or covered by the other sections.
THE INFORMATION IN THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN AS-IS BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
PROVIDER SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY OTHER WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT SHALL PROVIDER BE LIABLE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF PROVIDER HAS BEEN ADVISED BY "USER" OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH POTENTIAL LOSS OR DAMAGE. "USER" AGREES TO HOLD PROVIDER HARMLESS FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, LOSSES, LIABILITIES AND EXPENSES.
Document ID: H000158
Audience: Advanced user
Reviewed On: 12-Dec-2003